right-click, save as to download this free mp3 mix
Mixed in Berlin, March 2015
(46:04, 107 MB, 320 kbps MP3)
Cover image: S-Bahnhof Südkreuz, Berlin, January 2015
Style: Bass Music
Direct link to the mix:
01. Kingdom – Hood By Air Theme (Night Slugs)
02. Wen – Spark It (Keysound)
03. Jon Convex – Vacuum States (Nonplus)
04. S-X – Woooo Riddim (Butterz)
05. Scuba – M.A.R.S. (DJ-KiCKS)
06. Trevino – Tweakonomics (Revolve:r)
07. Trusta – Hypnotic (Swamp 81)
08. Boddika & Joy Orbison – Tricky’s Team (SunkLo)
09. Girl Unit – Club Rez (Night Slugs)
10. Addison Groove – This Is It (Tectonic)
11. Wen – Galactic (Keysound)
12. Special Request – Cold Blooded (Houndstooth)
13. Special Request – Ride (Special Request)
14. Dismantle – Broke (Terrain)
15. Untold – Stereo Freeze (R&S)
16. Royal T – Music Please (Butterz)
17. Addison Groove – Melody Maker (50 Weapons)
18. Skream – The Epic Last Song (Tempa)
Another day, another crate-digging session …
My Drop The Hammer series has always been about digging into my crates for the finest bass-related stuff, all from vinyl (of course!). Thus far the series has featured breaks, drum n’ bass, electro, grime, dubstep, and UK Funky, and with this edition I wanted to do a bit of digging into the whole UK Bass sound, that nexus where various strands of club music meet, mingle, and cross-pollinate in a flurry of heavy, heavy bass. Obviously this isn’t a totally new thing for me – I have mined this seam before in my mixes Taste The Rainbow, Machines In Love, The Robots Are Restless, and, to a degree, in Drop The Hammer 9.
I actually really like this kind of music, but I don’t buy it frequently enough to pretend that I can do any kind of comprehensive ‘upfront’ mix, so every now and then I enjoy just throwing together some bits from my collection for the sake of my own listening. I mean, let’s get real – some of the tunes I’ve used here are both pretty old and pretty overplayed. But that’s ok, I’m just a hobbyist putting together mixes for my own enjoyment; well, and for other peoples’ enjoyment too. I can’t lie and claim that I don’t enjoy getting positive feedback on the mixes, obviously that’s a big part of why I put these mixes online!
In any case, I am quite pleased with this mix – I deliberately tried to mix up the styles on this one, and I hope that I have succeeded in joining the dots between Wen’s weird spacey grime, Addison Groove’s chugging juke, S-X’s thundering trap, the crunchy electro vibes of Jon Convex, Trevino, Trusta, and Untold, Royal T’s beatless grime, the dark house of Boddika and Joy Orbison, and the slowed-down jungle mayhem from Dismantle, Skream and Special Request.
Basically, that’s all I have to say about this mix – it’s just a little thing I banged together last weekend, and I hope you enjoy it.
Next up over the next few months: Mala tribute, No U-Turn tribute, post-2000 acid house and techno mix, Nuclear Hyde tribute, maybe some more jungle, and God knows, lots of other stuff!