Sonicrampage

A site dedicated to Pearsall’s mixes

Vote for My Next Mix!

with 27 comments

Those of you who have been frequent visitors to this site will know that I often mention the fact that I always have a variety of different mix concepts in mind, and that sometimes it will take months (or even years!) to turn an idea into an actual mix.

Sometimes I will cheerfully announce an idea for a mix and then won’t get around to doing it for, well, quite some time (as an example, see this thread on Bangingtunes where I’m asked about a UK acid trance mix that I announced I would be doing quite some time ago and had then more or less forgotten about).

Anyways, I thought a neat alternative would be to put the next mix up for a vote, and you can see the voting options on the right-hand side of the page. I’ll be keeping the vote up until Sunday the 18th of July to give people plenty of time to vote for a new mix. In the meantime I will be doing a short 15-20 track mix of some deeper dubstep tunes for a bit of summer flavour (see the tracklist from my set at last year’s Hackney Flea Market for a flavour), and there might well be a guest mix as well.

For those who are curious, here’s some more information about the different mix ideas:

Beyond The Valley Of The Acid Vixens (Acid) – A tough acid mix, a sibling to The Waveform Cult, running from tweaking acid house to full-power 303 mayhem.

Example tracks:

Carl Cox – Acid Charge
Joey Beltram – Time Warp
Planetary Assault Systems – In From The Night

Drop The Hammer 8 (Grime) – For the eighth installment of my Drop The Hammer series of crate-digging mixes, I was thinking of doing a mix of some of my favourite old skool grime instrumentals, which would probably be a lot of fun, as long as you like skroinky London electronic beats. Will undoubtedly include a very healthy dose of Wiley’s beats.

Example tracks:

Dexplicit – Change Formation
Low Deep – Jedi
Wiley – Ice Cream Man

Cold World (Techstep Drum n’ Bass) – Since it was techstep that first really turned me on to drum n’ bass, it would be quite a cool nostalgia trip for to do a new darkside drum n’ bass mix. It’s been a while since I’ve done one, and since the mixing is a bit dodgy in places on Silver Dawn, I’ve long thought that it would be a nice idea to do a new one … not sure how summery it would be, though!

Example tracks:

Decoder – Fuse
Ed Rush – Mothership
Peshay – The Nocturnal (Back On The Firm)

Heartcore (Hardtrance) – I’ve long wanted to do a mix of old skool fast German hardtrance, since it was listening to M-Zone tapes from Dreamscape and Helter Skelter back in the mid-90′s that first got me into hard trance. The only reason I’ve never done a mix of this stuff is because I love it so much that I’ve always worried I wouldn’t be able to do it justice – which I recognize is a stupid reason to put off doing something! This mix would also be the first really fast 4/4 mix I’ve done since Called To Valhalla, and I know that Socky has requested it (repeatedly!), so it may well be a good choice.

Example tracks:

Cortex Thrill – Innerspace
Mega ‘Lo Mania – Time
Ultimate – Hypnotic Feeling

Now You’re Cool (UK Funky/House) – Well, I’m nearly 30, married, and look at all the stuff I listen to … I’m definitely not cool any more! Well, not that I ever was. ;)

Anyways, what is cool right now is this whole post-dubstep/future garage/UK Funky crossover movement that has injected some fresh ideas into the house framework, and I’ve recently gotten quite interested in this stuff, so I thought a mix might be a nice idea for the summer! My mix would definitely be more on the deeper tip than a lot of the UK Funky stuff, which is often quite rnb-influenced (and is not to my taste, really).

Example tracks:

Addison Groove – Footcrab
DJ Zinc – Wile Out feat Ms Dynamite
Roska – Holograph

Squat Rocking 5 (Acid Techno) – My Squat Rocking mix series has always been very popular, so I’ve been thinking of doing a fifth edition that would go back to that classic London acid techno sound that we all know and love.

Example tracks:

DDR & The Geezer ‘Spades’
Kektex – Inner City Junkies
The Weathermen – Domination

There Must Be A Future (Acid Trance) – As I mentioned earlier in this point, for a long time I have promised (and failed to deliver) a UK acid trance mix. For those of you who remember London parties like Undertow, Pendragon, Techtonic, Antiworld and Trancentral back in the day, this would be the one for you. Pounding rhythms, soaring melodies, spiraling riffs … pure joy.

Example tracks:

Demonic Emotions – Stuck On A Space Trip (Jon The Dentist Remix)
Pablo Gargano – Everyone’s Future
Star Power – Nothing Can Save Us London (Truelove’s Lectrolux Mix)

Urban Takedown (Jump-Up Drum n’ Bass) – My final mix concept is for a new jump-up jungle mix featuring some of my favourite dancefloor bangers from 1995-1998. Maybe that stuff was a bit less revolutionary than the earlier jungle stuff, and some (ok, a lot) of it veered into the territory of outright cheese, but the best stuff to come out of that era of hip-hop influenced party drum n’ bass sound was just awesome. Tons of fun to listen to and to dance to, and much better (in my own humble opinion) than the second coming of jump-up in recent years, I feel that another mix in that style would be a nice complement to Don’t Panic and Firestorm.

Example tracks:

Dillinja – Mutha Fucka
DJ Red – Devastate
Roni Size – It’s Jazzy

Help me decide!

Written by Pearsall

June 23rd, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with ,

27 Responses to 'Vote for My Next Mix!'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Vote for My Next Mix!'.

1. Would love another squat rocking, 1st one is still one of the best acid techno sets Ive heard

Sanji

24 Jun 10 at 6:23 pm

2. hi Sanji, make sure to vote for ‘Squat Rocking 5′ then! :)

Pearsall

24 Jun 10 at 6:37 pm

3. yo, i know nothing about grime but from all your other mixes I reckon you’ll be able to pull some proper good tunes out the bag. So first choice Drop The Hammer 8.

Or Squatrocking 5.

3rd choice – Coldworld.

Spoiled for choice though really. They all sound my cup of tea except maybe the “Now You’re Cool” one.

APC

24 Jun 10 at 8:19 pm

4. i would love to see

1. drop the hammer 8
    2. squat rockin’ 5
    3. cold world

the judge

24 Jun 10 at 8:45 pm

5. APC – glad you like the sound of ‘em!

Pearsall

24 Jun 10 at 9:47 pm

6. Great idea

Coldworld
    Drop the hammer 8
    Urban takedown

Vic

25 Jun 10 at 12:37 am

7. hi guys,

Make sure to vote for your first choice in the poll on the right-hand side!

Pearsall

25 Jun 10 at 6:36 am

8. There Must Be A Future ,used to love pendragon (especially at tyson street studios)

Ed

25 Jun 10 at 4:54 pm

9. Yeah, those were some serious parties!

Pearsall

26 Jun 10 at 9:16 am

10. more hard trance madness then back to teh squat rocking. Proper education with your mixes love it m8 :)

socky

26 Jun 10 at 12:49 pm

11. thanks Socky, I’m proud to preach the word ;)

Pearsall

27 Jun 10 at 12:22 pm

12. dude…
    i can only choose 1!?
    another vote for Heartcore please!
    still a sucker for 90′s trance :-)

iq

27 Jun 10 at 11:37 pm

13. dudeā€¦
    i can only choose 1!?

you could always vote, delete cookies, and vote again ;)

in the immortal words of Chicago politics: vote early, vote often!

Pearsall

28 Jun 10 at 6:33 pm

14. ba ha ha ha nice one bruva….

iq

30 Jun 10 at 1:11 am

15. Squat rocking 5 please!

Rob Dinsdale

3 Jul 10 at 10:04 pm

16. two weeks of voting to go!

Pearsall

4 Jul 10 at 10:07 am

17. [...] the deeper end of dubstep, yet the moment has never seemed quite right until now, as I wait for voting on my next mix to finish. Over time, the concept of this mix has evolved, from an upfront selection of deeper [...]

18. [...] finally, voting for my next mix has finished, and the 81 votes break down as [...]

19. [...] course, that moment would probably have been put off indefinitely if Heartcore hadn’t won the the poll I conducted recently to decide my new mix. Sometimes it’s good for other people to give you [...]

20. [...] project. Among my forthcoming mix projects is a mix entitled Cold World, which, as I described here, will be a selection of some of my favourite tunes from the mid-90′s wave of darkside drum [...]

21. squat rocking 5 – (full on acid techno please!!!)

there must be a future – (nice title, picked from one of the legendary pablo gargano’s eve days)

heartcore – i have most of the tunes meself that m zone mark eg etc played between 94-2003, but id love to hear a full on 97-99 job with the RARER m zone tunes especially…u kno, the ones u never see on the tracklists (like that tune mark eg mixed into i love elvis tune on tinrib @ strings of life skelter 97!!!)

hardacid

19 Feb 11 at 6:04 pm

22. hi mate,

Surprised you didn’t see Heartcore yet! You can grab it from here:

There Must Be A Future is the next one planned, but the little lady arrived a little earlier than planned, so I’ve not had a chance to put it together yet. I do have all the tracks picked out, but I just need to find 80 minutes to mix it!

Pearsall

20 Feb 11 at 12:28 am

23. Congratulations on your baby girl! Hope you can get to that mix soon, been waiting for a 90′s UK acid trance mix since Eurotrash 3, but then again im a fiend for oldschool acid trance, its what I was “brought up on” in the underground scene here in the NYC area so I cant get enough of it, just brings back memories. Was just listening to Gonzo live at the Limelight in ’95, transferred form tape to cd, classic!

TB303

20 Feb 11 at 6:26 pm

24. Thanks!

I might just be cheeky and do it in a couple of 20-30 minute sessions and just stitch them together in Soundforge ;)

Pearsall

20 Feb 11 at 7:28 pm

25. Nice cant wait, hope it doesnt get too fast toward the end, sometimes I think the faster some tracks are the less depth you have to them you know? Maybe its just me but looking forward to hearing it!

TB303

20 Feb 11 at 7:40 pm

26. Lol, sorry, going to have to disappoint you … it’s definitely going to be ending at about 170 bpm ;)

Pearsall